Sunday, April 12, 2009

What Would Bono Do?

Happy Easter. It's the holiday of chocolate, eggs, bunnies, springtime and, according to my friend Gord, Zombie Jesus.

Easter (Greek: Πάσχα) is the most important annual religious feast in the Christian liturgical year.[1] According to Christian belief, Jesus was resurrected from the dead three days[2] after his crucifixion. Christians celebrate this resurrection on Easter Day or Easter Sunday[3] (also Resurrection Day or Resurrection Sunday), two days after Good Friday and three days after Maundy Thursday.

Every Easter I think of when I was a kid.. and my mom bought us new dresses and little white gloves.. and honest to goodness Easter bonnets.. It is the true beginning of spring for me. Crocuses on the lawn... egg hunts.. big baskets of jelly beans and candy...

I do give up something for Lent (this year.. white wine.. yes, a true sacrifice). Many give up chocolate.. seems appropriate.. and did you ever notice that "Roll Up the Rim" starts right before Ash Wednesday? Yup, and ends the week of Easter... Coincidence? I think not..


The Easter Bunny (or Easter Hare) is a mythical character depicted as an anthropomorphic rabbit. In legend, the creature brings baskets filled with colored eggs, candy and toys to the homes of children on the night before Easter. The Easter Bunny will either put the baskets in a designated place or hide them somewhere in the house for the children to find when they wake up in the morning.
The Easter Bunny is very similar in trait to its
Christmas holiday counterpart,la la Santa Claus, as they both bring cute, fun gifts to good children on the night before their respective holiday. Its origin mentioned in print as early as 1620;[1] can be traced to the German fertility goddess Ēostre.[2].

This year for Easter I'm spending it as always. with my family.. going to my sisters in Hamilton and we'll be doing a combo Easter/Birthdays thing. Should be fun.. plus I get a cake and gifts so that's pretty cool.

So in all these reflections of Easter Celebrations... I've looked up various definitions.. of the holiday itself.. and the Easter bunny.. and NO WHERE do they make reference to the Easter BONO. Nope, nothing. Which makes me wonder.. WHAT the heck is with this?? The Easter story told through the music of U2? COME ON. What's next? The story of the Baby Jesus told a la High School Musical? Hmmmm..

What WOULD Bono do...?

Life: It's Easter. Spring. Awakenings.. Renewals.. Rebirth. New Beginnings. At least I hope so.
Love: Get to see my family today. I love them.
Pants: Today, I will wear a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment