Friday, May 22, 2009

Shrimp with Garlic & Mango

One of my favourite things to do is cook. I especially like cooking for other people.. and enjoying their company while having a great meal. This is one of my "specialties".. I like to serve this with Saffron Rice... but you can serve it over a salad or toss with pasta...

Shrimp with Garlic & Mango

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled (or equivalent - I use smaller shrimp if they're on sale)
1 cup chopped mango
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 mandarin oranges (for garnish.. I hardly ever do this)

In a large sauté pan or skillet hear the olive oil and sesame oil; sauté the garlic and sweet red pepper fo 1 minute. Add the shrimp and sauté another 2 minutes. Stir in mango, green onions, parsley, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook another minute. Serve on salad.. toss with pasta or serve with Saffron Rice... Serves 4


Saffron Rice

2 cups water
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp saffron
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice (I actually use basmati cause I like it)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot bring wate, chicken stock, saffron and turmeric to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment